Monday 12 August 2013

How to Tan - Naturally ♡


I'm writing this blog as I'm laying out in the gorgeous Portugal sun and it dawned on me that I should do a blog on how I tan, and what works for me. Before I begin this blog I should mention that luckily I tan very easily and rarely ever burn, with or without suncream. I feel this is reflected on the fact that I grew up with parents who love to travel, so since I was a child I've been exposed to many hot countries such as Spain, Greece, Malta and France. I also spent a month in France when I was young, around 7 or 8 years old, and the weather was so hot so I learned to adjust to the way the French lived in the heat ♡

I'm here to share with you tips that I feel help me develop an even, dark tan while on summer holidays abroad (or judging by the glorious irish weather this summer you can easily develop one at your back door :D).


1. Sun Cream
On my first day I always wear factor 30 suncream - I apply it everywhere, from head to toe. I adore lying out in the sun, the heat doesn't bother me. I reapply the suncream every 40 minutes to an hour, depending on what I feel is needed. Over the week I move down in factors to 20, 15 and finally to 10. I always stick to factor 30 on my face as the skin is most sensitive there abd needs a higher protection. be careful when applying suncream on your face not to rub it in your eyes - not pleasant!! You need to start high until your body adjusts to the climate change and gets used to the reaction the sun rays have on your skin.

2. Tanning Oil
On the last day or 2 I always apply tanning oil instead of suncream to ensure I get the most out of the sun before I leave. I use extremely low factors, the lowest I've ever gone is 1 or 2, but usually I use factor 6 or 10 in tanning oil. Tanning oil can be quite dangerous in regards getting sunburnt so I apply it literally every 5-10 minutes, and you need to make sure you do! To be honest I wouldn't reccomend tanning oil if you are prone to burning easily as you can develop just as good a tan using suncream. Also tanning oil leaves a very greasy feeling on your skin, which is not one bit pleasant!

3. The pool
If you have a pool by you then make use of it! Honestly, the pool comes in handy for so much more then just dipping in and out for a swim. I've noticed over the years that I develop a nice even tan when I spend more time in the pool. The reflection of the sun rays on the water help you develop an even tan, which is great because you can relax in the cool, cold pool laying on your inflatable lilo and still develop a nice natural tan! The pool is also brilliant for cooling off after laying out in the glistening sun ♡


4. Strolling around
If your like me, sometimes you'll like to have a holiday where you don't lie out in the sun and instead go sightseeing and strolling around discovering and exploring. Some people believe that if they don't do that then they won't develop a natural tan. This is not true. I usually dress in a nice cute dress or a pair of shorts and a string top, apply sone suncream on myself before I leave to explore and I always develop a nice tan. When going for a meal or a drink opt to sit outside in the sun rather than sitting inside. When walking try to walk in the sun rather than jumping from shaded place to shaded place hiding from it.


5. Reading
I always find reading a novel on holidays very relaxing. It's also very beneficial in terms of tanning; get stuck into a good book in which you enjoy and read it while our sunbathing, you won't even notice the strong heat and the time will pass by quickly! There has been many times I've sat out reading a book for over an hour and didn't even notice the time pass by, and the results were amazing in terms of my tan. 


Warnings:
 Sunglasses are not just an accessory, but more a necessity. It is very important to protect your eyes from the sun. Sun rays can cause premature ageing around your eyes as they tend to wrinkle easier. I've also been told since I was a child that sun rays can cause blindness if your eyes are exposed directly to them for too long.
 If you feel you are burning, you ARE burning so get out of the sun and into the shade. Apply Aloe Vera to your body as it soothes and relieves your body after it has been burnt. Aloe Vera is always a necessity to me - amazing stuff! Can be purchased from any chemist or supermarket.
♡ There is a difference between suncream and sunblock. Sunblock blocks the sun completely from your body which is brilliant for avoiding becoming sunburnt, but works against you with regard developing a tan. So make sure you are purchasing suncream when hoping for a tan!
♡ If you become sunburnt then take a day off. Do not expose yourself purposely to direct sunlight as this will only worsen the situation and can lead to sunstroke.
♡ After sun is essential in helping your body recover from a long day out in the sun. Many supermarkets these days sell suncream and after sun in a pack of two so always opt for that. Just apply it evenly over your body, as you would any other moisturiser, in the evening time.
 It is very important to moisturise your face and body while abroad to keep you completely hydrated and avoid drying out. Water is also very essential as you are prone to dehydration quicker in a hotter climate so make sure to drink plenty of water :)

Girls, what you need to remember is tanning takes time and patience. Yes you will feel greasy, hot, sweaty and fed up by the end of it, but the results are totally worth it! 

I hope this blogpost helped you and I'd love to hear your feedback? Also, these are my tips, what has worked for me over the years. I'm not saying they're the right and best way of going about tanning, but this is what I do and I feel it works great for me and I always develop a nice, dark, even, natural tan ♡

Love, 
Lorna xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment